With cold weather creeping in, it’s time to think about heating your home.
Here are ten tips you can take, today, to help your family stay safe this winter:
- Install a smoke alarm on every level of the home, and inside and outside each sleeping area.
- Make sure that the cooking area is free from items that can catch fire, like dish towels or pot holders.
- Check your electrical cords to verify that they are not frayed or cracked.
- Never leave children and pets with unattended with candles.
- Clean out your clothes dryer lint filter and venting system (this should also improve how well your dryer works!)
- Carbon monoxide alarms should be located on each level of the home. And, yes, you can take the “two birds, one stone” approach by buying a combination CO2/Smoke Alarm unit!
- Move furniture and other items that can catch fire so that they are at least 3-feet from fireplaces, wall heaters, baseboards, and space heaters.
- HAVE AN ESCAPE PLAN with two ways out of each room!
- KNOW WHERE TO MEET ONCE YOU ARE OUT OF THE HOUSE!
- PRACTICE YOUR ESCAPE PLAN!
For a more thorough look at fire safety in your home, check out this Home Fire Safety Checklist.