Some like it HOT.
But with toasty Northeast Ohio temperatures expected over the next few days, it’s important that you keep three key things in mind to beat the heat: stay cool, stay hydrated and stay informed. And don’t forget about your friends and neighbors, check on those most at-risk at least twice a day.
- Stay in air-conditioned buildings as much as possible.
- Do not rely on a fan as your primary cooling device.
Your body may sweat more in these temps, which means you will be losing fluids.
- Drink more water than usual.
- Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink more fluids.
- Avoid alcohol or liquids containing high amounts of sugar.
Download the free Red Cross First Aid app to learn more about how to treat heat related illnesses – like heat cramps or heat stroke.
For more information on at-risk populations, check out the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website: http://www.cdc.gov/extremeheat/