When disaster strikes, all members of the family should be prepared with a disaster kit – including your pets. Keep items in an accessible place and store them in sturdy containers so that they can be carried easily.
Your kit should include—
- Sturdy leashes, harnesses and/or carriers to transport pets safely and ensure that they can’t escape.
- Food, drinking water, bowls, cat litter/pan and a manual can opener.
- Medications and copies of medical records stored in a waterproof container.
- A first aid kit and download the Pet First Aid App
- Current photos of you with your pet(s) in case they get lost. Since many pets look alike, this will help to eliminate mistaken identity and confusion.
- Information on feeding schedules, medical conditions, behavior problems, and the name and number of your veterinarian in case you have to foster or board your pets.
- Pet beds and toy
Click here for a complete list of pet disaster preparedness items: http://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3640126_PetSafety.pdf
Pets will look to family members for comfort during all the changes that disasters bring. Having a plan ahead of time will reduce stress and ensure you that you can care for your furry family members.